Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Email from Zachs Teacher

Shelley,


Today, Zachary stayed after school for some testing. We were required to give them a math screener test and I gave him an additional assessment. He did absolutely awesome! Zachary was able to identify all the letters in the alphabet accept for the lowercase “q.” He also was able to give me a sound for each letter in the alphabet. Zachary also was able to identify and write numbers one-twenty. He can identify numbers above twenty but the assessment only called for numbers 1-20. Zachary is also reading some sight words! I was so excited to see that he is familiar with reading twenty-seven sight words. He also knows his shapes and colors. He only missed one section on the math screener test. On the money section of the test he mixed up a dime and a nickel. The test is very cut and dry. If a student misses one item in any of the sections they do not pass. So, Zachary did great! I can tell that you have been working with him a lot at home. He is a very bright child. I will work very hard this year to challenge him academically since he is ahead of the game.

Zachary has transitioned well into kindergarten. The first couple weeks of school is always difficult because the children are still learning the rules and the routines. Next week, we will finally get into our real routine since we will be at school for the full day. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Ms. Grant
Kindergarten Room 4

2 comments:

Jay said...

I've been telling everyone this for 4 years. Now I have proof!

nbailey said...

Oh you have a little smarty pants!!! He knows more then a couple of my 3rd graders do! Maybe I should have him come tutor some of my kids! I hope that the teacher does challenge him because he sounds like he needs it and he would benefit! Keep me updated :)